So I wrote a book. That’s the good news.

The bad news is I wrote it, then let somebody else take care of the publishing. (So I did the work, while he retained the rights to publish the story – got it?) That was the deal I made, and in my naïve mind, nothing could have gone wrong. I had complete create control over the title, the story, and the freedom to do pretty much anything to make the words sound nice – as long as it was all romantic. That was a caveat I was more than happy to adhere to. So I wrote some romance, I gave it a nice title, and – in my opinion – made it all sound pretty lovely. In my head I’d done a good job. In my head it was bulletproof.

Then I got hit with this…

fullsizeoutput_54f

Genuine proof why pictures are not always worth a thousand words.

(I’ll let you process that for a moment.)

If there was ever living proof of why you’re not supposed to judge a book by its cover, you’re looking at it. My story is a lovely short tale of an impossible love, yet this cover depicts a story where the word cock makes up a predominant percentage of the word count, and the only verbs used throughout are spank, thrust, and possibly gyrate. To say I was unhappy with it would be nothing short of an understatement. This guy had one simple job to do – one. To provide a cover that was, at the very least, in keeping with the overall tone of the story. And he screwed it up. Royally screwed it up.

Obviously I’m dissatisfied for the selfish reason that it taints my story with connotations of a genre I’d rather not be affiliated with, but also because I have to sympathise with those unassuming readers who paid for this book expecting to see some unadulterated action – only to be left feeling rather unfulfilled. (To clarify, there is no action in there. Honestly. None whatsoever.)

Fortunately everybody who has read the story (or at least everybody who I’m aware of) has only given me the kindest of compliments about it. That makes me happy. It means that as long as people are willing to detach the cover from the narrative, and take the words for what they are, they should be able to find some loveliness in there.
As for me? Well, I don’t really regret it. It was just one of those times in life where I had to learn the lesson the hard way  and come to understand that there are some very, very real perils of writing for other people. (The first one being, never – and I mean NEVER – let them design the front cover.)

One thought on “Gilded Illusion: The Perils Of Writing For Somebody Else (And why a picture does definitely NOT speak a thousand words.)

1. December 14, 2016 at 8:30 pm

Wow. I can only say how annoying bit I no it’s a serious understatement of how that must feel! 😶

2. December 14, 2016 at 8:31 pm

Apologies for the spelling. Auto-correction going crazy! 🙄

• December 14, 2016 at 9:08 pm

I was seriously traumatised when I first saw it! Luckily I’ve learned to laugh at it now (well…kind of 😜)

3. December 16, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Damn. But it was a great experience right? 😀
    Congratulations on getting your book published!

Liked by 1 person

• December 16, 2016 at 3:38 pm

Thank you 😊 it was, at the very least, a good learning experience (and I’ve luckily found the funny side 😜)

Liked by 1 person

4. January 2, 2017 at 1:23 pm

This seriously cracked me up (apart from feeling sorry for the total unfortunate mishaps) this post gave me a good laugh! Everything is so sexualised these days… gosh. In all honesty though your writing has such a fluency that compelled me to continue reading.. absolutely love your posts! (Especially this one!)

Liked by 1 person

• January 2, 2017 at 1:26 pm

That’s such a kind thing to say!! Thank you so much 😊 (can you seriously believe that picture though?! 🙈)

5. January 10, 2017 at 1:02 am

May be a tad childish… but that was excellent placement of the word cock haha. Cracked me up. And I agree, that would be my expectation. Good you managed to get over it quickly though haha. Good luck with your release!

Liked by 1 person

• January 10, 2017 at 7:18 pm

Haha I’m so pleased you liked it! (But seriously – how awful is that cover?!)