A Note To All The Dreamers

Too often people who work very little, get rewarded with quite a lot.

Nepotism is frighteningly prevalent in this country; deeply embedded in everything from the Government, to Financial Services, to Publishing. I know tonnes of people who have real talent, and a real strength of determination, who continually bust their gut but never get a breakthrough because their name isn’t on the right list. I include myself in that bracket, but I’m not just talking about writers here. I’m talking about photographers, make up artists, fashion designers, illustrators, musicians, entrepreneurs; thousands of insanely skilled individuals who have fantastic vision, but too often go unrewarded. Meanwhile people who are far less talented, but a little more well-connected, are doing all the work that should be done by us. The visionaries. The dreamers.

Fortunately we’ve got something they don’t. We’ve got heart. We feel our work, we live for our passions, and because of that we’re better than they are.

In my quest to be a real-life, genuine writer I’m going to meet hundreds of dreamers just like us (and I can’t wait! I really can’t wait!) and when I do I’m going to write about them. I’m going use my skill to offer some much needed appreciation for theirs. Because hard work deserves to be shouted about. And because success shouldn’t just be about knowing all the right people. And – most importantly – because what we’re doing is pretty damn special. Sometimes we need to hear that.

So each time I meet a fellow dreamer, who’s busy chasing kites of their own, I’m going to put their details on here. For the whole world to see, and for all the other dreamersย to share. In my dream we’ll create one big wonderful network, where nobody is afraid to share honest, genuine talent. It’s certainly something that’s worth sharing.ย The cynics will be outraged, and they’ll probably say we’ll never make it, but we won’t care. We’ll just smile and laugh as we prove them all very, very wrong.

One thought on “A Note To All The Dreamers

1. December 17, 2016 at 9:38 pm

I strongly relate to this post. I feel it’s not what you know in this world, it’s who you know. And for people who don’t know a lot of people (like me) it kinda sucks. But I’ll keep on dreaming, keep on believing and one day I know I will make it to where I want to be, along with all the other dreamers and believers out there!

Liked by 2 people

• December 17, 2016 at 10:42 pm

I’m so very pleased this resonated with you ๐Ÿ˜Š (I’m even more pleased that you’re a dreamer ๐Ÿ˜Š)

Liked by 1 person

• Esme
      December 19, 2016 at 3:29 pm

Hear hear! It can certainly be disheartening at times, but there’s only one thing we can do – persevere ๐Ÿ™‚ And the reward is so much sweeter in the end…

Liked by 1 person

2. December 18, 2016 at 11:27 am

Dreamers never die they say.

Liked by 1 person

3. December 18, 2016 at 4:09 pm

I try to hold my dreams very close to my heart and chase them like my life depends on it. This was a great message, loved it.

Liked by 1 person

4. Tee
    December 19, 2016 at 2:53 pm

Thanks for the like and kind comment, Claire. Came by to say that, and then I got floored by this piece. It captures a sad truth, then shares a better one. Dreamers aren’t crazy. We live deeper. So thank you even more for this!

Liked by 1 person

• December 19, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Thank you thank you ๐Ÿ˜Š this is such a lovely comment ๐Ÿ˜Š

5. Kelsi
    February 3, 2017 at 2:46 am

Absolutely love this โค As someone majoring in art with a desire to make a life out of creativity, it's really hard sometimes to look on the positive side because, really, it does feel like it's all about connections. I think what you're doing is wonderful, and it's so good to see dreamers helping dreamers โค We need more of this instead of all the competition and shoving going on in the world. ๐Ÿ™‚

Liked by 1 person

• February 3, 2017 at 3:22 pm

Thank you so much for such a lovely comment ๐Ÿ˜Š You’re so right – it’s sometimes so difficult to look on the bright side and stay motivated – exactly why we need to support each other. So glad you liked it ๐Ÿ˜Šโค

Liked by 1 person

6. July 5, 2017 at 12:05 am

Great piece, Claire. You’ve manage to perfectly describe what every talented person wants to yell out at the top of their lungs every time a less talented undeserving person gets the job or published. Like many talented people out there, you are a driven individual that loves to work hard and will someday get her big break. And it’ll manifest itself in the form of a long lasting successful career. Cheers!